Public Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Public Forums

Sharing Down Syndrome, Computer Help, Alterations & Tailoring

2 posters

Transferring Data/Files from Old Laptop

Devert Sturdevant

Male Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Transferring Data/Files from Old Laptop Empty Transferring Data/Files from Old Laptop

Post  Devert Sturdevant Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:47 pm

Whenever my present laptop was donated to me by my sister-in-law it was to get away from the (what I called the magic eye to get onto the internet) but what I wanted was to get the data off of my old Sony computer and recover the files on it). I would think somehow that information could be transferred to discs that could be read on the donated laptop for my review but not installed. I am a nerd as you know. You said no charge for the advice to any question, so give me your expert opinion and we can go from there. If you need more info on the Sony (you have serviced it in the past. Thanks for taking time to read this. Hope you have a good answer.
    Jason Lim
    Jason Lim
    Admin

Male Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2009-02-04

Transferring Data/Files from Old Laptop Empty Re: Transferring Data/Files from Old Laptop

Post  Jason Lim Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:47 pm

Transferring the data files (or the files you have saved like photo, documents, etc) from your old Sony to your current system can be done without too much trouble. This is assuming that the old sony's Hard Drive is still mechanically working. However, if the hard drive has mechanically failed, it most likely will not be possible to transfer these files. If the Sony hard drive IS OK however, then you can use a "usb flash drive" to transfer the files.

General Step:
    -turn on Sony computer and get to the desktop screen
    -insert your usb flash drive and it will appear as another drive letter in the "my computers" icon window
    -location the folders where the data you which to transfer reside (my documents, desktop, favorites, etc.)
    -copy and paste those files to the usb flash drive

You can buy a flash drive for less than $40. If the laptop is unable to boot up to the desktop screen, the you will need me to remove the Sony's hard drive and interface it directly to your new system by way of an adaptor cable. And again, if the sony laptop fails to turn on whatsoever, then the hard drive has most likely failed that transferring the data is very difficult, in not impossible.

hope this information helps.
    Devert Sturdevant

Transferring Data/Files from Old Laptop Empty Re: Transferring Data/Files from Old Laptop

Post  Devert Sturdevant Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:49 pm

Jason i went online and found out basically what i think you might have told me once before - its not worth trying so please forget my request and i will have to accept fact of lost history on the sony hard druve, Thanks anyway.
    Jason Lim
    Jason Lim
    Admin

Post  Jason Lim Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:49 pm

As I mentioned on my previous email, if the old sony is still able to turn on and boot up to the desktop screen, then all your data is just fine and can be transferred over just fine. Let me know what boot up problems (if any) the old sony has and I can tell you if the hard drive is just fine or not for data transfer.
    Devert Sturdevant

Post  Devert Sturdevant Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:50 pm

thanks jason - i will attempt to load the sony file and will go from there.
    Devert Sturdevant

Post  Devert Sturdevant Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:51 pm

no success - not worth the effort or money. will let you take hard disc if you want to witlhout any cost to me - otherwise i will open the case and pitch it into dumpster. Again, my sincere thanks to you.
    Jason Lim
    Jason Lim
    Admin

Post  Jason Lim Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:52 pm

that's ok if the files are not worth the effort. i won't have any good use for your old sony or its hard drive at this time, but thanks for the offer.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content