Public Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Public Forums

Sharing Down Syndrome, Computer Help, Alterations & Tailoring

2 posters

Magic jack and your review on you tube

telltom

Male Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2009-04-15

Magic jack and your review on you tube Empty Magic jack and your review on you tube

Post  telltom Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:35 am

Hello folks,
    I just watched all the video's Jason had made and i'm grateful for them. Nice job. I was wondering if you could give us an update on how that's working out.
    Now for my question.
    Do you think MJ can run as your only phone system providing you have a cell phone backup, or will there be too many bugs with it?
    Jason Lim
    Jason Lim
    Admin

Male Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2009-02-04

Magic jack and your review on you tube Empty Re: Magic jack and your review on you tube

Post  Jason Lim Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:33 pm

The magicjack is still working for me quite well. Once in a while when I pickup my phone to dial, I hear a dial tone, but when I start dialing, the system does not register my button presses and continue to give me a dial tone as a dial. So i unplug the magicjack's usb cable and reconnect, then all is ok again. i tend to have to do this maybe once or twice per month.

Again, here is my operating environment at my home:
    Internet Service Provider: Cox Communications
    Internet Speed Tester: www.speedtest.net
    Rated Download Speed: 30 mbps
    Rated Upload Speed: 2.5mbps
    Computer CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz
    System RAM Memory: 2GB

A couple months ago, i brought my magic jack to my brother's place, here were his operating environment for my magicjack:

Internet Service Provider: Cox Communications
    Internet Speed Tester: www.speedtest.net
    Rated Download Speed: 1.6 mbps
    Rated Upload Speed: 0.25 mbps (248kbps)
    Computer CPU Type: AMD 1.0 Ghz
    System RAM Memory: 0.76 GB (768MB)

the magic jack still worked ok there. I called my cellphone using the magic jack and had my cellphone call the magic jack and the sound was fine. Of course the sound is not super-100% crystal clear. It was like a cellphone reception and there was a split-second delay while talking back and forth.

So as long as your computer and your internet speed is between the test cases detailed above, then you should be fine. For $20/yr that's good enough for me.

To answer your final question, I current run my MagicJack is my only phone system at home. I do not have a wired/LAN line at all. I use my magicjack to talk to clients during my remote computer services appointments several times per day. And seems to work fine.

HOWEVER, I DO disable any current peer-to-peer downloads that I may be doing before using my MagicJack, as the sound does get choppy sometime if lots of data is downloading - like over 100 kbps i believe - though i haven't done precise testing on that end.
    telltom

Magic jack and your review on you tube Empty Re: Magic jack and your review on you tube

Post  telltom Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:04 pm

sounds great Jason. Again thanks for taking the time to inform us all with your experiments. I have a service called Viatalk. It is a VOIP system and is working fine, but had it's problems when I first signed up about a year ago. I now have my Magic Jack in use for a week and so far only one bad call from a cell phone. It was very choppy. I wasn't running anything at the time. I have a Compaq Presario, Pentium 4 with 1 gig ram. I also have two hard drives. When I mess up I just use my imaging software to put everything back to a good copy. I don't use Limewire or any other downloading except youtube videos occassionly. I had some thoughts about Windows update downloading automatically, so I changed the setting to "inform me of updates". I'm using AVG antivirus and also a free program called "Threatfire". Today i forward my Viatalk number to Magic Jack number and connected all my land phones to MJ thru a USB powered hub. Phoned some folks and all is well. Infact, the voice clarity is better that Viatalks in some instances. I'm very excited about this Magic Jack. It's like a new toy to me. And if it works out i'll drop my other service. I'll experiment for about three months before i cut it off. If it proves unreliable, I'll still keep it for long distant calls.
    Jason Lim
    Jason Lim
    Admin

Male Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2009-02-04

Post  Jason Lim Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:27 pm

Before magicjack, I was using a voip service as my main home number too. but after a month or two using magicjack, i cancelled with my voip service which was costing me $27/month. i mean that isn't too much for a voip service, but why pay that when magcijack is $20/year. plus most of my calls are on my cellphone, but i use my magicjack when i'm at home and want to conserve my cell minutes. i mainly want to find out how well it will work when i go overseas this year. i may post my experiences with my magicjack adaptor while i'm overseas..
    telltom

Post  telltom Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:45 pm

My situation is the same. I have "Viatalk" voip service and it's ok. But why pay if i can use the Magic jack. So far I've made over a hundred calls since I got it on April 9. It's been great. I'll give it a couple of months before I cancel Viatalk. I expect to have some glitches, after all we are using the internet, but I love the MJ. My wife just made a 30 minute call to Colombia using a calling card on my MJ phone. She said it was very clear. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content