Public Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Public Forums

Sharing Down Syndrome, Computer Help, Alterations & Tailoring

2 posters

Physical and occupational therapists

Ana

Female Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2009-04-20

Physical and occupational therapists Empty Physical and occupational therapists

Post  Ana Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:28 pm

Hello. My nephew is 3 weeks old and has been diagnosed with Down syndrome. My sister, the baby's mom, is interested in possibly getting private therapy when she is in town visiting me. I would like to get contact information for early intervention occupational and physical therapists that you have worked with and that you would recommend. Also, how early did you start speech, occupational and physical therapy with your children? Thanks! Ana.
    Gina Johnson
    Gina Johnson

Female Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2009-02-04

Physical and occupational therapists Empty Therapies for baby with DS visiting AZ

Post  Gina Johnson Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:31 pm

Dearest Ana,

First of all...Congratulations on being the Proud Aunt of this gorgeous nephew. I am the proud mom of seven great kids including our son David (who is now 25 and has DS) and I look back and wish I had known how wonderful the journey would become. Your sister sounds so proactive in that she is trying to work with her baby right off the bat.

What a good lady. I don't know how long she will be in town for but there are good therapy places I can refer you to. But if she is just here for a visit I think I would just spend the time smooching on that cute baby. The best advice I can give her is that she should just treat her baby as she would any baby. Our little ones are amazing and he will grow up to be a wonderful person.
    Something that she will be tickled to find out is that she (and you) will naturally do therapy on her baby and you don't even know it.

The first time the therapists told me to 'Bring his hands to mid-line" , I told them I didn't know what that was. They took his two little hands and clapped them together and I smiled and thought, "Hey, we call that 'patty cake'!" I soon learned that all the things you naturally to do interact with a baby is in one way or another therapy. It is so fun to see our little ones grow up and reach those developmental milestones. Often our little ones are a little delayed in reaching them but you will be surprised to see how well they do. I used to fret and worry if my son would ever walk. When he was in the 6th grade and joined a roller hockey team with his best friend (who is a typical child) I thought back at how all my worrying was for nothing.

I am out of town at the moment with a beloved mother in law who is in hospice but please call our office at 480-926-6500 and Rachel Hanzuk can hook you up with some good therapists if you want. We also would love to add your name to our mailing list so you can get our information regarding what we are doing for little ones in AZ who have DS. If you want to see some of the cutest kids in the whole wide world just go to www.sdsaphotos.com and check them out. They will steal your hearts for sure. xoxox
    Love you
    Gina Johnson
    Executive Director Sharing Down Syndrome AZ

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:27 pm