Public Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Public Forums

Sharing Down Syndrome, Computer Help, Alterations & Tailoring

2 posters

Problems opening PDF file Email attachments

Jim Sabo

Male Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2009-02-04

Problems opening PDF file Email attachments Empty Problems opening PDF file Email attachments

Post  Jim Sabo Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:27 pm

I am receivining "E" mails with attachments in PDF format. When I open them, all I get is a bunch of different characters. I have adobe 9.1 installed, but it doesn't matter they are unreadable.
    Jason Lim
    Jason Lim
    Admin

Male Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2009-02-04

Problems opening PDF file Email attachments Empty Re: Problems opening PDF file Email attachments

Post  Jason Lim Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:42 pm

When you proceed to open the PDF file attachment, take note of what program is looking to open that file. Ensure that the PDF file will be opened with Acrobat and not Microsoft Word. It's possible that the email program is defaulting to Microsoft Word and

that you are forced to manually then select Acrobat each time when you want to open the PDF attachment.

What you can also do is instead of selecting to OPEN the PDF attachment right from the email, instead elect to SAVE the attachment on your desktop or my document folder (or other common location) first. Once it is saved, then go to that location after minimizing your email program. Then doubleclick on the saved pdf file. See if it then opens it up via Acrobat or if MS Word tried to open it. If Word tries to open it, follow these steps to correct the apparent file format association:

-back out of ms word and go back to viewing the PDF file icon.
    -Right click on the PDF icon and on the popup select "open with..." option
    -Adobe acrobat should be listed, which you should then click to highlight, and ensure that the checkbox is checked that tells windows to always use the selected program...
    -then click on the ok button

That should do it. Confirm by double clicking on the saved PDF file again. If that worked, then the opening the PDF attachments straight from your email should also work. If not, let me know.

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:44 pm