Public Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Public Forums

Sharing Down Syndrome, Computer Help, Alterations & Tailoring

2 posters

Runtime Error when Visiting a Website

Mesamama

Female Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Runtime Error when Visiting a Website Empty Runtime Error when Visiting a Website

Post  Mesamama Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:28 pm

I get this message quite often especially when I am reading my hometown paper and go to a different area of the paper.

[b]A runtime error has occurred. Do you wish to debug? Line 0 or a different number as it seems to have a different number each time it pops up. Some times it says access is denied.

do you want to debug

Last night one of them said Line 123
    unterminated string constant.

I checked to debug once and it told me I didn't have the software program to do that so I just clicked on the X.

What is causing this and is it a simple fix or is it something serious?
    Jason Lim
    Jason Lim
    Admin

Male Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2009-02-04

Runtime Error when Visiting a Website Empty Re: Runtime Error when Visiting a Website

Post  Jason Lim Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:40 am

It sounds like your web browser (ie. Internet Explorer) is having problems displaying some websites and complaining about the programming code as it tries to display the websites' pages. Opting to debug will not get you far unless you know how to do computer programming and that you also have a programming software installed. Some questions for you:

1) When did you first notice this error message? Fairly recently? or this has always occured?
    2) Does this error occur 100% every time only on those specific websites?
    3) Or does this error seem to occur randomly accross any website?
    Mesamama

Runtime Error when Visiting a Website Empty Runtime Error

Post  Mesamama Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:13 pm

This happens radomly. It also happens sometimes when I reboot my computer. It has been happening for quite sometime. I don't remember exactly but I would guess at least 3 months or more. I always happens when I read my hometown newspaper but other times too.

Nona
    Jason Lim
    Jason Lim
    Admin

Runtime Error when Visiting a Website Empty Re: Runtime Error when Visiting a Website

Post  Jason Lim Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:50 pm

This is most likely a straight forward fix by doing a system cleanup. I primarlily use 2 tools (spybot search and destroy and AVG) in addition to removing temp files and optimizing your windows startup programs. Would you like for me to detail the steps on how to do this? which may be lengthy... or would you like for me to do the cleanup for you some time?

An outline of what I'd do is:
    -clean out temporary folders
    -remove suspicious and unneeded programs from add/remove programs list
    -correct/reset internet explorer settings
    -update to latest spyware protection
    -update to latest antivirus software
    -scan for and remove any found spyware
    -directly address any remaining error messages (ie. with internet explorer)
    -and other correctional steps if needed

Sounds like a lot, but it usually takes only about 30 minutes to complete assuming we don't encounter any complications.
    Jason Lim
    Jason Lim
    Admin

Post  Jason Lim Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:03 pm

After our system cleanup via a remote session, we found that the error message was due to your AOL software. The error message only pops up when viewing the particular website from AOL, and there are no errors when simply viewing the site via Internet Explorer. Since we didn't want to go through the trouble of reinstalling the AOL program, we agreed to simply do all of your AOL email from Internet Explorer (via www.aol.com), and bypass the AOL program.

Let me know how your system has been doing since our cleanup. Have a great week!
    Mesamama

Runtime Error when Visiting a Website Empty Runtime error

Post  Mesamama Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:50 pm

Thank you so much for cleaning my system out Jason. It has been working fine so I am enjoying my computer again.

Nona

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:44 pm